Monday, June 16, 2014

The Pros & Cons of Cooking for a Party

(Photo by Kari Allred)

Saturday I had this great opportunity to cater a party, which I did, and it was an honor to even be thought of. There were lots of positives, but there were also a lot of takeaways to grow from. I have been doing this off and on for a while now, and I really enjoy the art of cooking. The difference this time was me, and by not following my own rules I set myself up for failure. Maybe cooking for friends kept me from the formalities of business? One of my favorite sayings is, “Friends is friends, but this is business”. Will I remember that going forward? Yes!

Rules I Broke:

1. Communication – Sure we communicated, but not at the level for success. Over communication is better than a lack of communication. Very unprofessional on my part because there shouldn’t have been any surprises.

2. Site Visit – I always visit the site beforehand, but did not do it this time. Why? I don’t know. Where was the party at? Where was the food going to go? What additional materials were needed? Access to the facility? Restrictions? Time? Backup plan?

3. Equipment Usage – I had access just prior to the party to finish prepping and cooking, as well as setting up. Broken Rule # 2 would have solved most of this. I learned a humbling lesson about an induction cooktop –vs- a glass top range. My in-laws have a glass top range, and how do I know it is glass top and not induction…because all of their old ass pans work on it. I felt like an old person with a smart phone (if you’re reading this then you’re too young to be offended). Power? Check. Burner controls? Check! Stove working? No! The thing was laid out like an IKEA instruction booklet…easy to follow. Except you need the right pans, and my pans were not the right pans. However, I now know the difference, and can operate the equipment.

4. Help – I planned accordingly to not need help based on no issues. That was a bonehead move because you should plan for the worst, and hope for the best. It was like I was writing the manual of what not to do.

Pros:

1. Love cooking!

2. Got to see some great people.

3. Lots of help and support from friends and family.

4. Good reviews.

5. Getting the opportunity.

6. Got to be part of part of a great celebration of life.

7. Trust and honor!

Cons:

1. Broken rules from above.

2. Time.

This was a great event in a family’s life, and I had the opportunity to be a part of that. The entire day was positive. People may take my broken rules and cons as negative, but they’re not; they are positives, because anytime that you can grow, learn, and takeaway from a person or a situation; then that is a positive experience.

I have never received negative feedback in my life; it has always been positive. It is not always easy to hear, but it has always been positive. Feedback is determined to be positive or negative in the mind of the person receiving it. If you cannot look at yourself as you truly are, or are not willing to hear what others have to say; then how will you ever grow as a person? I grew as a person on Saturday, and it is a great feeling.

Special love and thanks go out to my family (the Allred family), the Gregory family, the Rose family, and the Bower family. You know who you are and the great things you did, and I really truly appreciate all of you. Thank you!

http://chrisallreddesign.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment