Monday, September 16, 2013

Voodoo Doughnut Restaurant Review

 Voodoo Doughnut is a Portland area staple by being fresh, tasty (not to be confused with tasteful), and so very much standing for everything that the Rose City is.
I don't love their doughnuts, but are they anything special?
They have some crazy toppings that got them in a little hot water (like their Nyquil doughnut), but it seems that everyone is now copying their iconic Maple Bacon doughnut as well as their cereal topped fried delights. I can get Voodoo type doughnuts anywhere it seems these days. So why pay Voodoo prices for something cheaper and just as tasty…or is it just as tasty?
Taste wise I am not a super-fan because in a taste test I don’t think that I can tell the difference between their doughnuts and the other guy’s product. They’re good, but not great.
What puts Voodoo Doughnut ahead of the competition isn’t their product, service, or price; it is the iconic look, the doughnut names, the gimmicks, the weirdness (“Keep Portland Weird”), television features, being a local business in an area that embraces “buy local”, and of course Kenny Rogers (you’ll have to visit Voodoo Doughnut to figure that one out).
Voodoo Doughnut is not great, nor do I particularly like them; so then why do I occasionally crave them and spend the ATM fee to take out cash (cash only business) to buy a box of fried confusion? I have no idea, but I’m eating one right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment