Monday, April 27, 2015

Much Love Sales People

Selling is hard!!!!

I don’t mean having a customer come up to you and putting their purchases on the counter.

I don’t mean customers coming up to you inquiring about a product.

I am talking about straight up hitting the streets to drum up new business. I know, and have worked with, a lot of sales reps over the years and I honestly have to apologize for being an ass to them. I’m not talking about the reps that I saw all of the time and was cool with; I’m talking about the cold callers that I literally kicked out the front doors.

Going door to door is not my forte, but that was exactly what I was doing today.

Out looking for financial funding hitting business after business. LOOKING FOR MONEY!!!!

I have two great excuses (yes I am playing the excuse card) for doing badly today:

1. I suck at cold calling and asking for money.

2. Multiple Sclerosis (I’m playing that card too), because I looked like a dumb-ass trying to spit my spiel out. People probably thought that I was nervous talking to them. In fact, I think this one girl’s self-confidence went up because I was stumbling over my words while speaking to her.

However…

I have some good leads and follow-ups. Plus…I’ll get better.

Moral of the story…be nice to sales reps because they are just trying to make a living.

So…

Since I am nice, and cold calling is hard (a tear rolls down my cheek as I give you those puppy dog eyes)…

If you know people in the Portland/Vancouver area that are dying to give my company some of their money so that we can continue helping people in the areas of…

·    Food/Cooking
·    Writing/Idea Generation
·    Social Anxiety
·    And continuing down the path in sharing people’s stories…

…please reach out so I can chop up my spiel in front of them too.

Highlights of the day…

1. Working alongside my son.


2. Robin at the Wiener Wagon (downtown Vancouver) for helping support other small businesses, understanding what we are trying to do, and hooking us up with some delicious food. Robin is a beautiful woman who understands struggle, family, hard work, and all the red-tape of owning a business. Please visit her…eat a hot dog (they have other things as well)…and share stories. You’ll be glad that you did…I am. 



No comments:

Post a Comment